Sunday, October 2, 2011

Double Period Project - 1812 / 1912






A picture of the front of the shirt with tailor's tack marking the cutting / slashing line.  Once slashed, a front placket will be added to it for additional support.


The placket has been sewn by machine and slip stiched down by hand on the inside.  


The finished and turned front placket.  I looks pretty good and I was quite pleased with my hand sewing.




Next up, the neck gussets and shoulder reinforcements were added.  Again all this was done by hand.
The picture above shows the completed work for both.


The pattern directions did not suggest interfacing the collar, but I did, just to give it a bit more body.  I had a scrap of medium weight white linen that I used.  It gave it a bit of body without being overly stiff as you can see in the picture below.


As the Project Planning article suggested, break up the project into small units of works. In this way, the entire project becomes manageable and not so overwhelming. The 1812 shirt took me about a week. I am an early riser, so on a few mornings, before work, I completed small tasks that helped in the over all completion of the larger task.  It could be pinning the gussets down at the neck or hand sewing one side of the shoulder reinforcement.  The process really did work.

No comments:

Post a Comment