Sunday, October 23, 2011

Double Period Project 1812 / 1912

The frockcoat is the next item of clothing to make according to the initial project plan for the 1812 promenade suit. One of the distinctive features of the coat was its "M" notched collar.  I had purchased the Tailor' Guide pattern a couple of years ago from http://www.lostcoasthistorical.com/.  Once again, there was a sale and I took the opportunity to add the pattern to my collection, but I had never used it.

One of the draw backs with this pattern, it did not have the "M"  notched collar.  Through my initial research, I found that both types were used by gentlemen.  Again, I guess that it was a personal preference or simply left to the gentleman's tailor to decide.

This illustration from Victoriana.com does not have a notched collar. It is the primary inspiration for my 1812 outfit.

This frockcoat is quite dark, but you can clearly see the "M" notched collar.

A linen frockcoat from the V& A museum, it does not have notched collar.

A double breasted frockcoat.

I just wanted to make one with the "M" notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment