Sunday, August 8, 2010

18th Century Shirt








Ta Da!, it's finished. I completed it this weekend and I like it. Since these pictures were taken, I have since hemed the shirt.
It may seem that the shirt is a bit long, but doing a little research, it seems that men's shirts during the 18th century were primarily the only undergarment that was worn. The long shirt hitting near or at the knee was tucked up between the legs and under the crotch. Who knew?
The cotton shirting material that I found in my stash was perfect. It has the right weight and feel.
I still have to add buttons to the sleeves and at the neck, but that's not a biggy. In the second picture you can clearly see the shoulder panel. The body of the shirt was cut on a fold, no shoulder seams. The pattern required adding neck gussets and the shoulder panels, it provides more stabillity for the shirt. ........ Yeah me!
I am pleased. But there is so much more to do. Especially, since I have an early October deadline.


No comments:

Post a Comment