Sunday, August 15, 2010

1780s Waistcoat Pockets

I initially thought that inserting the pockets would prove to be difficult for me, since I have never placed an 18th century smile pocket before. Actually, it has only been in the last year that I have been able to set a pocket, mostly welt, but set never the less.

I took my time and followed the instructions to the letter. I found that it was extremely helpful to hand stitch around the smile through the wrong side of the lining with small stitches. This was done prior to slasing pocket opening. One other thing, at each end of the smile opening, you needed to take a couple of stitches before starting the lower curve of the smile. I believe that this helps when you have to turn the pocket lining to the inside.

I completed one pocket one evening during the week and the second pocket the next night. I am quite pleased with the way they turned out.

I did reduce the size of the pockets, the pattern actually had and 11 inch pocket flap and 9 1/2 pocket smile. I thought that this was way to big after I cut the pattern piece out. Plus, I had altered the original waistcoat to make it a better shorter. This shorter version didn't look right to me with an extra large three point point flap. Points were removed and the size scaled down to 9 inches for the pocket flap and six inches for the under pocket smile.


Before cutting the slash . After cutting the slash and pulling the lining through to the wrong side of the fabric.


No comments:

Post a Comment