Saturday, August 14, 2010

1780s Waistcoat


I pinned the linen lining to the outer fabric last night. I wanted to start the final assembly of the waistcoat, but I was too tired. I knew that If I did any sewing, there would be mistakes. So, I have learned that when I am tired, for me its best to stop.


This morning, I got up early 6am, walked the dog, had coffee and immediately started to stitch the lining and the outer fabric together.


I don't think that I shared with you what the fashion fabric looks like for the waistcoat. I selected a mid weight upholstery fabric. It was bluish grey with little embroidery pattern of a single dusty rose flower surrounded by a blue circle. It was on the remnant table at the fabric store last year and even than I thought that it reminded me of an 18th century fabric pattern. I did not have any idea what I would do with it. There was only a yard and 1/2. Wait, I believe that I had intentions of using it as the outer fabric for an 18th century corset. But that never materialized.


Anyway here is the fabric.






I really think it is perfect for an 18th century waistcoat. Plus, since I don't know how to embroider, this fabric was a great compromise.



























No comments:

Post a Comment