Sunday, August 15, 2010

1787 Waistcoat








It is basically done. I still have to add the buttonholes, buttons and prick stitch the edges to keep the lining from rolling out. The challenge is to get those little round flowers centered over those little self fabric buttons that you can pick up from a fabric store or WalMart's.
I think that I have just enough fabric to cover ten to twelve buttons. Oh, I forgot to show you, there is a large vent in the back which I will close with two sets of ties, one set of ties will be 18 inches long and the second set will be 15 inches long. The pattern doesn't mention the ties at all, but it does say plain back and tie back waistcoats were both used during this time.

In top two pictures, you can clearly see the smile pocket. To me they look pretty good. Next time around, I won't make the smile opening quite so large. It was smaller, but I opted to make it a bit bigger since I hadn't made one before.








No comments:

Post a Comment