Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Double Period Project - Picture Update - 2

I told you that I had been busy inspite  of the holidays.  More pictures:

The muff completed, just needed to be stitched closed.

The muff is done, I used one of the stole's ties to make a muff strap.  It can easily be tucked inside the muff.

Next up, the hat. I made a wire frame to stretch the straw hat over and reshape.

First take, it's alright, but I am not in love.

I covered the straw in black felt to help even out the hat for the final application of the fashion fabric.

Here you can see the actual straw hat on the inside.  This hat required a lot of hand sewing.

Here, I have covered the crown of the hat on the outside, the inside  has been covered and stitched.

A lot of hand sewing, trust me.


One of the biggest challenges was to figure out how to construct the hat.  The order in which to do things, it really made a difference.


Since the hat is my interpretation of a 1912 toque hat. It is oversized and quite deep. I ran across a picture of the inside of a pith helmet with a false crown.  I added a false crown for the hat.

The bow, I placed the wire inside the seam allowance, so that  it would not be seen from the outside.
It worked. 
The bow came out really well, but one bow wasn't enough. So, I had to make a second bow.

The finished hat, again, I am quite please with it.

The finished toque hat. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment