Saturday, December 24, 2011

Double Period Project 1812 / 1912 Shirtwaist

The pictures below were part of the inspiration to try shirtwaist tucks for the 1912 tailored suit.  I liked the large picture at the front. From the many pictures that I looked at from 1912, there were common elements that were present in most shirtswaists at this time.  Actually, in the clothes from this period. In my humble observation, there was an abundance of layering.  You see this layering in day clothes as well as evening gowns, material, patterns, over patterns.  The front and center shirtwaist below is layered over another shirt or blouse.  You have the shirt with the tucks placed over a lace or pattern under shirt.  Also, there was lots of trim, and different types of trim used on the same outfit.


This was an actual shirtwaist from the time period, I liked the waist band at the bottom.  I have decided to all that to my shirtwaist.

An illustration of a shirtwaist from this period, again with tucks placed under the yoke and down the front of the waist.

I cut the linen and lace plaemat in two pieces.


Now, I need to trim out the center of the mat and I will use the lace for trim around the colloar and the sleeves.

A better view of the cut out lace.  I will have to carefully and creatively arrange the lace around the collar.

The laced has been pinned to collar and it have to be sewn by hand.  There is no way that I can use a sewing machine on this lace.

I had to match the lace to make it work for the sleeves.

Again handwork, but, I am pleased with the outcome.

The Shirtwaist is done, I did had the band at the bottom as you can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment