Friday, December 9, 2011

Double Period Project 1812 / 1912

I started making the 1912 outfit.  It is to be a 1912 tailored suit or jacket and skirt.  I was leaning toward making a gown, but decided to go in a different direction.

So, this is the pattern that I will be using to make the camisole.  There are lots of techniques involved that I have never done before.  Primarily, the tucks and the insertions. The pattern is a Folkwear Pattern.

The instructions are very clear and there tons to picutures to help illustrate the procedures.


The blue painter's tape does not harm the mock up material.  I needed to extend the bottom of the pattern. You can also see the markings for the tucks and the insertions.

Above is a better view of the pattern with tucks and the insertions clearly marked.


I took my time and attempted the insertions first.  Actually, I had a perfect piece of lace for the insertions.  It was on sale from JOMAR and I obtained it during the summer, a 5yard bundle for $1.  I wanted more, but they only had one bundle left. The lace was just about 1 inch wide, perfect.


Lace attached to the front pieces, it required a bit of hand sewing. I suppose, that I could have done this with a machine, but there was a lot more control doing it by hand.

There a total of six insertions, two for each front pattern piece and two for the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment