Thursday, November 3, 2011

Double Period Project 1812 / 1912

The first mockup did not turn out so well. It was really huge and I did not like the oversized lapels. Everything was fixable, but I did not want to spend time redrafting the entire pattern.  When the only piece that I  really wanted was the notched collar pattern.  So, I decided to try my original pattern, The Tailor's Guide.

 
The pattern pieces were much the same, but not nearly as large.  You can see the pattern package down in the lower right hand corner of the picture above.

A much better picture of the Tailor's Guide pattern.  Although, research says that both collar styles were used at this time.  I still wanted to try the notched collar. So, my idea was to use the Rocking Horse Farm's collar with the Tailor's Guide Pattern.

Above is a picture os the pattern instructions from the Tailor's Guide. Just from the picture, you get a good idea how the assembly instructions are layed out.

Again the Tailor's Guide instructions.

Above are the instructions from Rocking Horse Farm, you can see why the TG's instructions were much preferred.  Don't misunderstand, these instruction also work. I just needed more visual illustrations along with the directions.  It really helps when you are attempting to put together a new or difficult item piece.

Also, I thought that the illustrations for Rocking Horse Farm were poorly done.

 
Mockup number 2, all layed out and ready to cut.

Oh, I actually liked the skirt pattern from Rocking Horse Farm, so, I altered the TG's guide skirt pieces to match the Rocking Horse Farm's pieces. The TG's guide skirt pieces were more rounded, I wanted the straighter versions that RHF offered.  That was easy. 

Partially put together, some item pieces are just pinned together.


Redrafting the notched collar for TG's pattern piece.  It took six attempts until I had a c.ollar that Icould live with.  It wasn't perfect, but I could live with it

I kind of like this.  I am glad that I made a mockup,though.

No comments:

Post a Comment