Monday, July 26, 2010

1780s Shirt - The Pattern




I mentioned yesterday that I no longer cut up my patterns. Instead, I trace a copy from the original and use that as a working copy. I like having the original to refer back to if there is a need.

What you see are the cut out pattern pieces. I found a cotton shirting material from my local fabric store, JOMAR. I love Jomar, the prices are really great and reasonable even for some of the more normally expensive fabrics. Anyway, I found this cotton shirting in the back area for $1 a yard. It think that it will do nicely
for the body of the shirt and sleeves.

I originally planned to make the shirt front frills out of it as well, but changed my mind. I had some sheer cotton with some poly in it that I think will work better for front and cuff frills.

Following the instructions, I had the dickens of a time figuring out how to add the frills to the front, but I finally managed. Also, perhaps, I just have a heavy hand, but the rolled hem the instructions called for, didn't work that great for me.

I finally, just used a narrow flat hem on the long sides of the frill. It turned out great as you can see in the picture. The front frills are standing up proudly.

I seem to be having a bit of a problem with the blog editor. Can't put the pictures where I want them.

Next, I will be putting in the shirt collar gussets, than I will add the shirt panel reinforcement which goes over the fold at the top of the shirt that forms the shoulder seam in modern shirt construction.

I hope that I can figure out this blog and picture editor thing................P

No comments:

Post a Comment